Ok, I need some plating rehab. My excuse is that the adult beverages had been flowing for a while.
Here was how I did my very first attempt at shrimp stuffed bell peppers. Avoided the normal rice filler, because my veg mix was so thick and filling.
#2 each of yellow, red and green peppers(6 total)
#48 medium shrimp(large ones are overkill, won’t fit)
#veg medley of corn, black beans, chopped spinach, mushrooms, celery, tomatoes, onions, anaheim peppers, cilantro, crushed almonds(use whatever veggies you have available).
#Spice: garlic, thyme, blk pepper, worcestershire, tomato sauce, hot salsa
#monterey jack cheese, thick cream, almonds, butter, hot salsa
- Boil shrimp, error on under cooking, as you will be baking these later. Cool, peel, de-vein when time permits.
- Remove tops from peppers and scoop out rinds, seeds(next time, I’m cutting the peppers in half vertically for easier stuffing and piling). In half inch water bath, microwave peppers approx 5 minutes to soften texture.
- Bake bacon(full package) in oven to crisp.
- Chop and mix veg medley(no rules, use whatever veggies you have on hand) in large fry pan. Guessing I had 6 cups of total stuffing. Add spice mix, chopped bacon and heat low. Grate monterey cheese(1 – 2 cups?) to form gooey mix. No need to fully cook, as you will be baking all soon enough.
- Cream sauce: 1/8 cup of finely chopped onions, butter, garlic…cook until onions clear. Add heavy cream, 1/4 cup of pulverized almonds, cilantro and montery jack cheese sauce in pan. Add hot salsa to get to pink color(mimic shrimp) and add spice to preference.
- Stuff peppers w/ 6 shrimp each, alternate scoops of veg stuff(not easy, next time cut peppers in half vertically). Leave some stuffing as plating bed.
- Throw stuffed peppers in oven for 20-25 minutes at 375F.
- Plate w/ bed of veg stuffing, garnish each pepper with 2 shrimps and pour cream sauce over all.
Sunset was unique and amazing in color and texture