Bajadock: This was my first ever GBC. I’m no fan of most of these holiday gooey globs thrown in a bowl. But, this one was a winner. My Baja Green Bean Casserole added two packages of fried bacon into the mix. Add jalapeño or anaheim peppers for some heat, sage and Tajin seasoning for fun. The bread crumb topping is much preferred over the packaged fried onions of your grandmother’s GBC.
Can you whimp on the sauce and start with cream of mush soup? Youbetcha. But, that would deprive you of sauce making fun and impressing your guests with your wrist whisking wonder.
Good Housekeeping Green Bean Casserole(w/ four added + + + + items) to elevate to a Baja Green Bean Casserole.
Serves: 9, Total Time: 1 hr 20 min, Prep Time: 30 min, Oven Temp: 375
- 2.00 pound(s) green beans, trimmed, diced to 1inch(better fork portion with goo)
- + jalapeño or anaheim peppers diced(I’m an anaheim fan for flavor, without the scalded tongue effect)
- 2.00 cup(s) stale wheat bread, torn into small chunks
- 3.00 tablespoon(s) olive oil
- bunch green onions, thinly sliced
- 3.00 tablespoon(s) corn starch
- 2.50 cup(s) whole milk
- 1/8 teaspoon(s) ground nutmeg
- + dash of ground sage
- 8.00 ounce(s) Cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1/2 cup(s) Parmesan cheese , finely grated
- + As much bacon(fried, diced) as you would like to squeeze in(I used 2 full packages, yum)
- + Tajin seasoning(with limon)
- Heat covered 7- to 8-quart saucepot of salted water to boiling on high. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Add green beans to boiling water. Cook 2 minutes. Drain well; set aside
- Fry bacon in coconut oil until beginning to crisp. Set on paper towels to absorb grease. Chop to 1/2″ chunks.
- Crumble stale wheat bread into coarse crumbs. Tosss in medium bowl along with oil and 1/2 of dice green onions.
- a)In 4-quart saucepan, whisk cornstarch and 1/2 cup milk until smooth. b)Add nutmeg, sage, salt and pepper. c)Slowly whisk in remaining 2 cups milk. d)Heat to boiling on medium high, then whisking frequently for 2 minutes. e)Reduce heat to medium low. f)Stir in cheeses one handful at a time, waiting until cheese melts before adding next handful. g)Stir in green beans and peppers until well coated. h)Stir in bacon. i)Stir in other half of green onions. j)Transfer mixture to 3-quart baking dish. k)Top with reserved crumb mixture. l)Bake 25 to 30 minutes or until crumbs are golden brown.